20 Oct Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey (>92% lean)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups cooked wild rice
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp. cumin or Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- ½ tbsp. unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp. each)
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- Cut off the top of each bell pepper and set aside. Remove seeds and ribs from inside of peppers.
- In a medium pan, add diced onion, jalapeno (optional), and 1 tsp. olive oil. Cook over medium heat until translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine raw ground beef, cooked wild rice, cooked onion/jalapeno mixture, cilantro, tomato, salsa, cheese, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Mix until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Spoon mixture into each pepper until you reach the brim, and then finish by adding the bell pepper top (previously set aside). Sprinkle a small amount of cheese and cilantro into bell pepper top as a garnish.
- Lightly coat the slow cooker with thin layer of butter. Place peppers in slow cooker top facing up. Cover bottom of the slow cooker with 1 cup of either water or chicken broth.
- Cook in slow cooker on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.